Saturday, October 13, 2012

Old Dog - New Tatting Tricks


I am very proud of this effort.  

I have taken one of Karey Solomon's designs - Mosaic - and because I did not want to cut and tie a bunch of times, changed the pattern to include not only a split chain and split ring to go from the first part to the second, but also a whole new chain element - that being the chain that joins all the elements that go around the second row.

This is Karey's original design
( I LOVE the shape.)

However, this is as far as I could tat ( but LOOK at that tension!) as the new chain is too short and there is still one more element to add. So, I either have to lengthen the chain or add more of the parts, making it a 10 point star instead of six, perhaps. But would that not change the chain requirement once again?

Just listen to me! 
Wonders never cease...

7 comments:

  1. Oh, my! Your brain has been working overtime! Haven't tried a split chain yet... guess I'll have to now. Sigh! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fox

    Yes I suppose it would, The tension is better. Well done on that, What do you want a 6 or 10 star that's the question. I think I would stick to the 6 star points.

    Love to Gian

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great when you can control your tatting instead of having to follow a pattern exactly. Well done. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like what you've done with that pattern. The outside elements of yours are more leaf-like than Karey's. If you want to keep it six-point your extra chains would need to be 12 to 14 ds I would think. I agree with you, I LOVE the shape of this. I'm looking forward to what you decide to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the chain! That kind of analysis would be too advanced for me! But you're on the right track!

    ReplyDelete