Monday, March 26, 2012

Tortured Tatting

You know I will finish just about anything, but I am drawing the line on this one.

\



This is from an Iris Niebach book. The pattern is gorgeous, but for me, impossible to tat well, even though I figured out quite easily HOW to tat it.

I find the patterns in this book ( Tatting Together Square Motifs) very fiddly and though the designs are so lovely, the finished shapes have been so manipulated that I find the process not very pleasurable. Challenging? Yes. But for me, not satisfying.

After 812 days of tatting I felt I  could admit that!  Yes, 812 days, give or take a day or so.  That is how long I have been at it and I do not think I have missed many days along the way.  I think I am going to stick with it.  : ))

A satisfying tat over the weekend that 
was also a perfect challenge:

#95                                       Lizbeth #40


This is Calendula,  by Iris Niebach, from her Tatting Fantasia book #1.  I tatted it with these colours, because I had a lot of lilac on a shuttle and I am obsessive about using up thread before I wind more.

I do not think I would normally have chosen the combination, but I rather like it.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

As with most of the Iris Niebach designs, I had to un-tat a gazillion times, and I am so thankful that I have this tool:


What do you tatters out there in Tat-Land use, you who tat with a bobbin shuttle as I usually do, when you need to un-tat?  I found a pin just did not do the trick.

I had two of the Tat-Pics and lost the Holly - or so I thought - so I orderd another from David. (God forbid I should end up without a spare!)

Then my son found my grandson wandering about the house with a "deadly weapon." ( my son's description - ah, young parents!) So, now I have three.  I feel secure and at peace knowing I have an abundance. Doesn't take much!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Today, a surprise in the post:
Goodies from Tattin'Kat:


Thank you so much!   Enclosed was a sweet little tatting bag with the pockets inside and a drawstring.  Very useful, and there is a lovely note (kind words, indeed!) on a huge red heart the Tattin'Kat and her little daughter made for me. 

I love the colours of the vintage thread so much that I am going to load up my shuttles tonight, now that I have decided not to finish that motif!

First, though, I might have to get rid of someone's excesive energy... This is for Margaret...

21 comments:

  1. Ah, some pieces are so fiddly that they're just not worth the aggravation. I have had trouble giving up on patterns also, but sometimes it just has to be done!

    I love the color combination of your successful motif! I'll have to try your approach. : )

    Nice tat-pics! We all must have our favorite tools!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the stuff you tat! I bought one of Iris's books, the one called Iris, I REALLY want her Fantasia books though! I have a list as long as my arm of books I'd like to get, someday. I love looking at your tatting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have more stick to it energy than most of us!! I hate to think of all the projects I started and they ended up in the garage!! Good for you!! Everything looks great!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I would call it obstinate, willful bull-headedness. ; )) Fox

      Delete
  4. Your unfinished motif looks wonderful-even unfinished!! And the finished one is absolutely gorgeous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the beautiful motifs of Iris Niebach - but I want to tat for pleasure, not frustration. (Lord knows there's enough of that in other areas of my life!) However, I love the figuring out and learning - but once I do that I lose interest and have a hard time finishing the motif.

    Well, that was contradictory, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually use the point or hook on the end of my shuttle... when that won't get it, a crochet hook. I have my one DRS shuttle, but no tat picks... Haven't felt the need for them yet, since the shuttles are on my "i want more" list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the colors of your incomplete work. It looks tough though. The success is lovely too. I really admire your tenacity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Canlandula is beautiful. I use the point of a cactus to unpick. Very useful. Today I'm making Tischband with the Finica I won from you. It worked for earrings so decided to see how it does with a late start on the Tat Along. So far so good. Karen in OR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cactus! Really? I cannot visualize it.
      Fox : )

      Delete
    2. My Snowbird friend brought back some cactus points for me last year. I'll stick a couple in an envelope so you can try them. Do you need bandaids with them? (smile) Karen in OR

      Delete
    3. Oh goody! I just love new tatting adventure and a cactus point is definitely that. Thank you!

      The bandage idea? Well, as you can probably guess, I have MANY of those in my medicine chest.
      Fox : )

      Delete
  9. there is no shame in not finishing a project that just isn't working for you. but the colors look good together. your second picture is very nice, good work. congrats on your package. have fun. as for how I un-tat, I use the end of my hook or pick that is on my bobbin shuttles. also use my fingernails sometimes. I have tried a pin, but ended up splitting the thread more often that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Trouble' looks like he's having fun!
    I understand the frustration of a tat that won't work, and I have all the bits to prove it. lol
    Your motif looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE #95! Did my last e-mail reach you? I’m going to write snail-mail and we’ll get the e-mail stuff fixed. I managed, with my numb-block of a hand, to try tatting Saturday night. It was like learning anew. Having more trouble with my right hand than before other surgeries. Totally numb, they gets those little shooting pains (like a bumped elbow)and finally a bit of feeling. Even keyboarding is difficult at this point; but I shall prevail. I use a very fine crochet hook for a pick, if the end of my shuttle doesn’t work. I miss you. bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BJ!!!! No. I did not get it. I have tried a gazillion times to email you and the emails are always sent back! Yes, write please, snail mail and send me your address. I miss you, too.
      Fox : )

      Delete
  12. Oh my, a lost tatting tool! I experienced similar, mis placed my 1/2 size crochet hooks and ordered more. Of course, found my original set -- eventually..

    As for un-tatting, I use a Bamboo Stiletto that has two points --

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Fox

    Trouble he looks full of life, he must have got spring fever. I would love to see him with a mirror, I bet that looks funny I never thought of cats using a mirror

    What a pity about your first motif, the colours looked nice, I have not got any of her books so I can't say anything about the pattern.

    Your weekend ratting looks gorgeous and beautiful colours.

    What a lovely present a gorgeous bag and thread.

    I unpick my tatting with a pin, never seen unpickers , I never knew you could buy unpickers for tatting.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, Gian actually does not even see the mirror! I joke about his egotistical preening a lot, but in reality, he doesn't pat the least attention to a mirror. Just a wee bit of poetic license!
      Fox : )

      Delete
    2. Glad that it made it to you. It was sitting on the desk for a long time before I drug the girls to the post office. I love what you are making with the thread.

      Delete
  14. Looking for Iris' first Tatting Fantasia book and found your post. I LOVE your Iris' pattern. You make the loveliest thread color choices.

    I use my size 16 crochet hook that I bought for beading. It's the best so far--better than the needles I used to use. I do like your picks, especially the holly! Glad you found it (2 years ago). Hope you still have it!

    ReplyDelete