Friday, July 29, 2011

Reflections Through The The Rose Window

This is Jon's Rose Window.  Unlike times in the past when I was driven to email Jon for help with her patterns because I could not figure a thing out, I was comfortable and loose-limbed (?!) tatting this beauty.


Again, I used the old Lizbeth twist and snag with yarnplayer's 'Stardate'. Light turquoise beads are from umintsuru.

I have had an epiphany about the way I always have stabbed myself when adding beads.  It seems to me that I was pushing the bead onto the picot with the left hand (I hold the shuttle in the right) , grasping the picot between the thumb and forefinger with a LOT of pressure.  Then there would be in automatic reflex that would counteract the first push, and in that moment the hook would work its evildoing.

For some reason, the other day I pushed a bead onto the picot with the RIGHT hand, and there was so much more control and no backlash.  Hard to describe, but I instinctively knew this was a safer movement to install a bead.  Whew...  I do hope I am correct in this assumption. Otherwise, I suggest stock options in BandAid.
I have had a brilliant idea!  Uh-oh, I hear you say!  Really, this is a beaut - I just now have to research places with which I am totally out of my field...  I will keep you posted if I can get off the ground floor here... : ))

10 comments:

  1. This is a thing of great beauty! Glad to hear you've figured out the bead, I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors! This pattern is on my list, too. I do hope you have found a way to stop injuring yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I, too, have this on my list of must-tats. I'm glad there's hope for safe beading! :)

    I'm anticipating the reveal of your idea . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Now you have me curious about your new idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colours and the motif is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice pattern and I like the colors you've chosen. I love 'Stardate'.
    Hmm, what are you up to now, Fox? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Fox, I am trying hard to imagine how you insert the bead. I was taught to add the bead using a #14 (0.5mm) crochet hook. String the bead through the crochet hook, then hook the picot and slide bead into the picot. Is that how you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. umintsuru, Using a very fine crochet hook, I was PULLING the bead with the LEFT HAND from the hook DOWN onto the picot,. Now I PUSH it from the crochet hook toward the base of the picot WITH THE RIGHT HAND. This switch of hands is critical. Something about the pulling action triggered the knee-jerk reaction and sudden jerk that thrust the crochet hook... you get the picture!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, now I understand. Yes I think when you push you have more control than when you pull. Great, hopefully no more stabbing yourself. umintsuru

    ReplyDelete