Friday, June 10, 2011

Tatting Trepidation

Threads are in the mail for: Bri, Tatterjil, Shannon, Red, Karen and Martha.

I was not thinking about it when I included a little tatted motif in each package, figuring that I was putting some VERY old motifs to some good use instead of having them live in the darkened closet...

BAD idea!  I am now fretting and worrying that someone will actually get to inspect my OLD TATTING!  Just look at the EGO at work here!  I have to laugh at myself for being so small-minded and petty, but I also have to admit that I am truly anxious.  : o

Ah - this is a great opportunity to practice  Zen and The Art of Getting Over Myself!  However... Be easy, girls!  Most of these motifs were tatted a long time ago!  : ))

 ❃❃ ❃❃ ❃❃ ❃❃
Moving right along:

#24 Motif Challenge

This motif from the Vintage Swedish book has always cupped a bit when I tat it.  This time I had to omit the top bit entirely, or it would have been egg-shaped!  (I am surprisingly pleased with my zigzag chain though!)

This is the diagram form the book:


How did it get tatted flat in the book?  What am I doing wrong?  Why do I have to change my pattern to get it flat?  Am I using too large a thread perhaps (#20 Flora)?


❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀

Almost forgot!  Look what Sis sent to me for holding all my tatting on my lap!  I asked for a little quilted piece and she surprised me with this amazing piece! I had no idea what she was going to quilt.


It has some of my old my tatting (from the Piecework Magazine piece - the pink and green) and an embroidered piece of our aunt's silk hankie, and 'tat-ology' stitched on and a piece of tatting on a carbone ring (Jon's pattern) that I do not like, as the colours are weird that keeps coming back to haunt me, and there it is again!  On my quilt!  Where I shall come to love and accept it I'm sure!

Thanks Sis!  I LOVE it!  Plus, it arrived on her (Sis's)  birthday. How cool is that?

22 comments:

  1. I've often wondered if the size of the thread affects the motif. I have found that when I use finer threads, I have better results. Maybe the original tatter just blocked the Dickens out of it!

    Now, I need a computer lesson from you. How do you change text colors and sizes in your posts? When I log into Blogger, I can't find any way to make changes. I just assumed it was because I was using a Mac, but obviously that's not the problem. Do you think it might be because I use Safari? I wonder if there are other Mac users who have the same questions. Maybe my problem is that I teach elementary school kids, and I don't ever get into the advanced stuff! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane,
    Are you using the updated editor? I am using Safari now - a lit different from Firefox, but not in Blogger - same stuff.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fox, I LOVE your little quilt, it's gorgeous. A real work of art. I really like the way your sister has combined all the different elements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sister is a treasure - and so is that Quilt piece, I can imagine how much she must have enjoyed working on it!
    If you tat TWO of those motifs, they would make a wonderful little bag for the Boss - perhaps lined with something pretty?
    Just off to the Fibre Fest, wish me Happy Hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maureen, that is a marvellous idea! So cute would it be!

    Yes, indeed, Happy Hunting!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thread size will affect the total size of a motif, but not the proportions. In the picture from the book, I count 12 ds per ring on round 1, but I count 20 ds per ring on yours. There's your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maureen and I think alike. I looked at the motif cupping and it looked like a tiny purse.

    The quilt is gorgeous! None of my sibs are the least but crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are sooo luck to have a talented quilting sister!! Mine not so much!! I`m not sure if she can sew on a button. I guess I got the crafty gene and she got the computer tech ones!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your motif is really neat! And your quilt is amazing! You and your sister are both very talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, hope you had a very Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. creativasuculencia, Thanks! But mine was last month! Sis's was yesterday.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha- I should have read the comments first- Miranda saw the same thing. Great!

    The quilting is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Miranda, Thanks - I see why I was confused. In the pattern there ARE 12 ds, which is exactly what I tatted - 12ds per side of the inner ring, 24 ds in all. The photo has only 6 per side, equalling 12 ds per inner ring!

    I kept looking at the photo and could not see that it was not the same as the words I was following in the directions. You solved the mystery!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the quilted piece!

    Besides too many ds, which you got figured out now, you are using the metal piece in the center which pushes the rings further out and makes the chains nearly straight instead of rounded. I think you are merely trying to design a new piece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The extra DS and the metal piece in the center increased the circumference of the circle. But your solution was very clever! And you created something new. Brava!

    Love the mini lap quilt. Your sis IS a treasure, as are you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always wonder what my tatting looks like to others too - like whether I followed the pattern correctly, or made up my own style :) We are SO hard on ourselves!

    I love the quilted piece for your lap - great idea! Lovely with your tatting on it too - now don't be trying to replace those tatted pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Fox!

    hm, that happens when one reads posts in a hurry, I guess. Sorry! I hope *both* of you had lovely birth-days - and a happy, creative year too! You are clearly both good at that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just had to pop back in to share an observation. Your motif reminds me of the "saddle" section of the Dolly Hollander's Christmas Camel.

    Here is a link to Tatskool's camel: Tatting a Christmas Camel

    ReplyDelete
  19. creativasuculencia, I do it all the time!
    Fox : )

    Isdihara, Yes! I see what you mean! Wow, her camel is quite something!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally understand about tatting ego. I was so nervous sending off my first bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a wonderful lap quilt for your tatting, Fox, and all the more so because it was created by your sister just for you! I like how she incorporated some of your tatting into its construction. It's beautiful. It will make tatting even more of a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I often wonder when it wont lay down is it the thread, my tatting was it too tight or did I leave out some DS. who knows but it is a nosense when they wont lay down flat. I think we all have tatting ego when sending something to another tatter.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete