Sunday, May 22, 2011

Thread In The City

Like I really needed to buy a bag of DMC Perle!  Soft and fuzzy... why did I have to buy it?  Because I am in NYC and it was my birthday and my daughter and I went on a search in the Garment District for DMC Cebelia in #30 - which I did not find!

But I met a wonderful, big, ginger cat, who greeted me at the back of a quaint, old and rambling store that  I found on the Internet while looking for thread in the city.


This thread was very inexpensive and I think, old.  There were many choices and I had to fight with myself to keep my selection small.  After all, I am trying to whittle down the stash, not enhance it.

You can see that I also bought two Boye shuttles,  as for once I did not bring enough tatting supplies and ran out of thread AND thread-free shuttles!

I only brought a few small patterns as well.  There is the Lupins there by Mary Konior and also a couple of patterns from the Angeline book that umintsuru kindly sent to me before I left.

This pattern is Angeline's tatted in some of Tatskool's HDT that was left over from another pattern.


I have a bit more to report, but it will have to wait.  Engaging with three active, amazing kids in my space is definitely making me a very tired tatter at the end of a LONG day! I am still in NYC and am missing my shuttle time!

P.S.  I for got to mention that I am using a new computer and there is a bit of a learning curve as it is a Mac which I have not used since the 1980's!  There is a lot to learn, but I am catching on fast.  The modum and mail and router have to wait till I am home, and I am dreading that hook-up...  So, I may disappear for another few days as I try to work that all out.

Also - the Angeline book.  There are still people wanting to receive it, and so I may start a secondary list.  After this one is complete - and it might  take another year or more to get through all the names -  I will post the new list, rather than making this one even longer. I am still thinking about that but wanted to update anyone who is interested in receiving the book.

19 comments:

  1. Welcome home! You have been missed and I can't wait to hear and see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Isdihara!

    I have not returned home just yet. But, I could not wait any longer to post a short entry, as I am homesick for tatting! I do not get to tat much here!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are enjoying yourself in NYC. Celebrating birthdays with family is wonderful. Your tatted Angeline motif is bright and beautiful. Ahhh threads, hope you find more for your stash. Have a happy day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "From us have you been absent in the spring....." - but then I remembered that you were visiting grandchildren.
    Good to see that cats are still on your horizon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, You are too kind! Really! The tatting on this is NOT good. I had trouble getting the chains the right length and the whole thing is lopsided. Love the thread however! I was using the big Boye shuttle and found it awkward... No excuse! Having too much fun with the kids o be very serious about the tatting technique, I'm afraid.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look like you are enjoying NYC, nice to see you so know I know what you look like. I think you were being very good for not buying to much new stock. I think I would have been in heaven and had to go back again for some more. I did that in Rhodes (Greece) I kept visiting the shop before we left Rhodes with a pile of ribbon and thread.
    I hope you have a safe jouney home
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to you, dear Fox! I've never been to NYC... how exciting to be there for your birthday!

    I've found that it is very difficult to whittle down my stash with so many glorious supplies available!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love some of the DMC colors, particularly of the variegated thread. The variegated rose you got, plus one of purple, are real favorites of mine. But the thread is so soft and floppy!

    It's good to see you. And a nice cat to pet on your shopping trip - what pleasure! My mother and sister have been in Barcelona this week and have found a number of gatos negro - black cats - in their travels.

    Enjoy your family...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be completely covered in thread if I walked into a store like that! You have so much more self control than I do :) Hope you're enjoying NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy, happy birthday my dear tatting friend Fox.
    A big hug
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI fox, I have been meaning to ask to be put on the list for a couple days now. you know... since umintsuru has been posting such beautiful tatting from the book. If i am able to be added to the secondary list that would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Everyone!

    shannon_in_love, I have added you to the 3rd list.

    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday, Fox. Enjoy the time in NYC. I would be interested in being put on the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Fox! Welcome to NY:) I live in the Southern Tier of NY a little over 2 hours away from the City!! I am so glad you are enjoying!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! First, sorry about my bad english, I`m brasilian! I LOVE your tatting. I saw who you live in Toronto. Well, in july I`m going to Canada, to Toronto and Montreal. I would wish to find a store of tatting suplies, Can you help me? Where do you buy your materials in Toronto? Thank`s a lot!
    Anelise

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anelise,
    The above picture is in New York! There are some Michaels stores in the suburbs of Toronto that carry some tatting supplies, but I have never been to them as they are out of the city. I do all my buying online!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete