Monday, November 15, 2010

My Dirty Little Secret

  #8 Motif Challenge

After all the dragons, the fancy motifs, Clunies, onion rings, the beads and  the fine threads, there is one pattern that has forever stumped me: a little Iris Niebach freebie.  I have tatted it several times before and it looked fine.  I have posted it and given it away as a gift. Only I knew that I did not really know HOW to tat the pattern!

That is correct.  I just followed the directions, and in my own head pretended I really knew what I was doing, knowing deep down I did not!

There are some different directions to do in the pattern and as you all know by now, directions kill me.  Dyslexia Rules!  Also, I do FS/BS tatting and added to the directional challenges, I really was at a loss with this one.

This weekend, because I am practising with the Valdani thread, which I love, by the way, in spite of its thinness, I decided it was time to really understand that pattern as I want to do it with beads and in the red and green Valdani.

I have begun it five times.  I have sweated,  groaned, stomped my feet and used highly unladylike - okay, trucker - talk.  I have yelled at the walls, the ceiling and The Cat, who prayed fervently for a different human and stayed out of my way.  I persevered.  I now totally get the pattern!  I am happy.  The Cat is happy. Peace has returned to my humble abode.



I think this will be fantastic with beads in the red Valdani ( double-stranded, of course).  Stay tuned...

9 comments:

  1. Come visit me in Illinois... I love Iris's patterns! I make many mistakes, because I don't pay close attention, but I'm always pleased when I finish one. Just give me a couple of weeks notice, please. I'd need to shoo a few dust bunnies away before receiving company! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Won't you be surprised, Diane, when I show up at your door, with tears in my eyes because I cannot figure out whether I use Shuttle #1 or Shuttle #2!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I like it!


    Btw, who is that cute little kid in the photo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to see this shuttle with you, Fox!

    ReplyDelete
  5. umintsuru, when I decided to purchase this shuttle I had to determine if I was all right with the fact that I would think of you every time I picked up my Wendy shuttle. I realized that it would be indeed an honour! So, LaCossette got the go-ahead!
    ♥ Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Fox!
    It looks fabulous in the green - red will be SUPER festive this time of year!

    Glad to know that I'm not the only one who can lapse into trucker talk. It helps me clear the air, but the problem is that when the kids are home I have to yell into a pillow and now we have some really foulmouthed pillows around here...

    :) Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for brightening my day. It looks great to me so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lily, The kidlet is "Grahamy The Green", the little one who adores shrek, thus anything green, which he calls 'shrek'. He definitely, from the day he arrived, marches to his own unusual drummer - as you can tell! He always makes me laugh, as he is constantly funny without meaning to be. Thanks for asking!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete